SoftLayer Announces Turnkey Private Clouds
Powered by Citrix CloudPlatform, New Offering Gives Users On Demand, Hosted Private Cloud Deployments
Dallas—June 12, 2012—SoftLayer, a leading provider of global, Internet-scale cloud infrastructure, today unveiled its new SoftLayer Private Clouds solution that provisions and configures full private cloud deployments on demand. These scalable, secure and high-performance deployments leverage the company’s automated architecture, worldwide data center locations and private network, and customer-controlled infrastructure management system.
“For some time our customers have used our portfolio of dedicated servers, network resources, and virtualization options to build their own private clouds. Now, with SoftLayer Private Clouds, instead of starting at square one, you can start with your cloud ready for whatever you want to do with it, ,” said Duke Skarda, Chief Technology Officer for SoftLayer. “We’ve built our Private Clouds solution out of our experience creating and managing our own cloud, and our unique capabilities in automating sophisticated deployments. At the push of a button you have a dedicated cloud at your command, with full access and control over every aspect, and the ability to scale infinitely, on demand.”
SoftLayer Private Clouds streamlines ordering, enabling customers to simply choose the number of physical servers that they need as client hosts and then customize the configuration and resources for those servers as desired. In as few as two hours, SoftLayer’s automated provisioning system will have automatically:
- Provisioned the client hosts and installed each host’s hypervisor
- Provisioned the cloud’s management server and installed its management system
- Registered the client hosts with the management server
- Completed network configuration and resource management tasks
Additional features include:
- On-Demand Scalability: Customers can add physical nodes and virtual servers to their Private Clouds at any time, through the SoftLayer Customer Portal and API.
- Full Management Access and Control: Customers have full control over their private cloud via SoftLayer’s portal, full-featured API and Apache CloudStack management tools.
- Seamless Global Deployment: SoftLayer’s data center footprint and private network enable global Private Clouds deployments with Apache CloudStack zones in each data center controlled from a single pane of glass and centralized management server.
- SoftLayer Object Storage Integration: SoftLayer’s advanced Object Storage solution provides a searchable repository Private Clouds deployments, ideal for sharing virtual machine images, shared files, and other resources that demand high-availability/accessibility.
- Integration with RightScale Cloud Management: SoftLayer Private Clouds can be managed with RightScale cloud management and private cloud solution, RightScale myCloud. This gives customers robust management capabilities including the use of RightScale ServerTemplates, RightScripts, and a variety of additional services such as reporting, chargebacks, and a variety of additional services.
SoftLayer’s first Private Clouds solution is built on Citrix CloudPlatform, powered by Apache CloudStack. “We are proud to play a central role in this powerful new cloud-infrastructure-as-a-service,” said Peder Ulander, vice president of Citrix. “SoftLayer innovates with solutions that make the cloud more accessible, affordable, and scalable and Apache CloudStack, is the perfect match for that goal. The combined solution brings flexibility and ease of use while ensuring the control, efficiency, and scalability that dynamic private clouds require.”
“This innovative new offering from SoftLayer is a testament to how they understand customer needs. Customers will benefit from the proven configuration and the speed at which SoftLayer will deliver it,” said Bailey Caldwell, RightScale Vice President of Business Development. “We’re delighted that RightScale and myCloud are available for cloud management of SoftLayer private clouds —it’s an ideal fit with our existing ability to manage SoftLayer public clouds, now customers can manage both through a single pane of glass.”Availability & Pricing
SoftLayer Private Clouds will be available starting August 1, 2012. Pricing starts at $1,218 per-month for a base configuration including one management server, one host server, and associated software licenses.
SoftLayer, an IBM Company
SoftLayer, an IBM Company, operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With 100,000 devices under management, 13 data centers in the United States, Asia, and Europe and a global footprint of network points of presence, SoftLayer provides Infrastructure-as-a-Service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer’s modular architecture provides unparalleled performance and control, with a full-featured API and sophisticated automation controlling a flexible unified platform that seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices, and a worldwide network for secure, low-latency communications. For more information, please visit softlayer.com.
Director, Corporate Communications