SoftLayerTM First to Offer Next Generation Intel® Processors
Xeon® 5500 Series Servers Feature New Nehalem Microarchitecture
Dallas—April 6, 2009—SoftLayer Technologies today announced it is the first hosting service provider to offer servers featuring new Intel® Xeon® 5500 processors, built with Intel’s Nehalem microarchitecture. The new line of processors provides up to 125% higher compute performance over the prior generation while maintaining similar power consumption. The processors also offer up to two times more virtualization performance, allowing more virtual machines per physical server.
Intel designed the Nehalem microarchitecture from the ground up to capitalize on all the advantages of their industry-leading 45-nanometer Hi-k metal gate silicon technology. Advantages of the microarchitecture include:
- Dynamically managed cores, threads, cache, interfaces, and power
- Simultaneous multi-threading (SMT), enabling more energy efficiency while increasing multi-threaded workload performance
- Innovative extensions to the Intel Streaming SIMD Extensions 4 (SSE4) that enhance XML, string, and text processing performance
- Superior multi-level cache, including an inclusive shared L3 cache
- New high-end system architecture that delivers from two to three times more peak bandwidth and up to four times more realized bandwidth (depending on configuration) as compared to today’s Intel Xeon processors
- Performance-enhanced dynamic power management
“Intel collaborated with SoftLayer to offer leading-edge technology for on-demand data center services and technology innovation to its customers,” said Jason Waxman, General Manager of High Density Computing at Intel. “We are pleased that Intel’s next generation microarchitecture in the Xeon 5500 series servers will provide breakthrough virtualization performance and enterprise class features to meet SoftLayer’s growing industry demand.”
“SoftLayer is excited to lead the industry in offering this new line from Intel,” said Lance Crosby, SoftLayer Chief Executive Officer. “We constantly strive to offer our customers the most advanced server technology and with the introduction of Intel’s Xeon 5500 series, we will be able to provide some of the most efficient solutions in the marketplace.”
About SoftLayer Technologies
Headquartered in Dallas, SoftLayer is the innovation leader in Cloud, Dedicated, and Managed Hosting, and the largest private hosting company in the world. SoftLayer provides cloud, dedicated, and seamlessly integrated computing environments, with world-class data centers in Dallas, Houston, San Jose, Seattle, and Washington D.C., and network Points of Presence nationwide. The company integrates and automates all elements of its platform, empowering enterprises of any size with complete control, security, scalability, and ease-of-management via a leading Customer Portal and Open API. For more information, please visit www.softlayer.com or call 866.398.7638.